Air conditioner coil cleaning is an essential part of your HVAC maintenance regime and helps to keep your unit running in peak condition.
Clean and well-maintained air conditioning coils ultimately save you money in the long run as it increases the life expectancy of your air conditioning unit, ensures that it is running efficiently and you won’t have to frequently replace malfunctioning parts. Industrial air conditioning units are costly to replace, so regularly maintaining your equipment should be a top priority.
Function of an ac coil
Air conditioner coils are vital to the running of the air conditioning unit. Refrigerant is drawn through evaporator coils and as warm air is drawn in from the outside and passes the refrigerant, the heat is absorbed which rapidly cools the air and evaporates any moisture into liquid form to be expelled from the unit. This process is how the cold air is created, and also helps to reduce the humidity from the surrounding air. Condenser coils serve a different function. Condensate that has been expelled from the ac unit travels through the condenser coils, the warm refrigerant releases the heat from the first half of the process and flows back into the unit as cold refrigerant to being the process again.
Coil cleaning benefits
So, why is it important to maintain the ac coils? Evaporator and condenser coils are made of metal such as copper, steel, or aluminum due to their heat conductivity properties. Their sole purpose of transferring heat is compromised when they are not properly maintained. Below are some of the benefits of coil cleaning.
- Improved heat transfer - as mentioned above, the function of the coils relies on their heat absorption and cooling capacity to ensure that the air conditioner runs at its best. Effective heat transfer becomes increasingly difficult with the buildup of dirt and debris in and around the coils.
- Improved energy efficiency - dust, dirt and debris around the air conditioner coils act as an insulator, making it more difficult for heat to be absorbed by the coils. The air conditioner works harder to produce cold air and the efficiency of the unit is reduced by the added effort to achieve the same result.
- Rust and corrosion prevention - the metallic properties of the coils mixed with moisture and chemicals drawn in from the atmosphere can have a corrosive effect on the ac coils. Regular coil cleaning prevents the build up of rust and corrosion, meaning that the need for the replacement of components is reduced significantly.
- Reduction in system failure - dirty coils cause the air conditioner can cause ice to form on the evaporator which causes it to run at a higher temperature. This, in addition to rust, corrosion and poor efficiency places a strain on the air conditioning unit which increases the likelihood of complete system failure.
- Cost savings - clean coils help the system to run efficiently and energy consumption is kept to a minimum so you can enjoy lighter energy bills. Added to this, maintaining your unit reduces the need to regularly replace components and increases the life of the ac unit, saving you money in the long run.
How can NCH Asia help?
NCH Chem-Aqua specialises in cleaning and maintaining industrial HVAC units. Our coil cleaning services will ensure that your air conditioner unit is running efficiently and in optimal condition for as long as possible, and you benefit from the cost savings associated with a well maintained system.