Cryogenic treatment for drill bits
The cryogenic treatment process removes residual stress and improves wear and abrasion resistance on workpieces like drill bits. This is so they can drill tougher materials such as metals and steels. The process involves the drill bits being exposed to temperatures below 190°C. Drill bits that have had cryogenic treatment also have improved corrosion resistance.
Why choose Cryo drill bits?
Cutting tools need to be tough enough to withstand shock and hard enough to combat abrasion. This means they can be used to machine hard metals. There are many benefits to cryo drill bits, including:
- They are less likely to fail due to common problems like cracking.
- They harder and tougher than standard maintenance drill bits.
- They last twice as long as standard drill bits.
- They save money on drill bit replacements.
- Their strength and durability make them easier to use than many other drill bits.
- Independent testing* by a UKAS Accredited test house confirmed that Cryo Drill Bits drill more holes than standard drill bits, including premium grade Cobalt bits.
- Typically it was found that Cryobits, drill 88% more holes that premium cobalt, and 200% more holes than premium M2 bits.
*Note: Cryobit test performed by UKAS Accredited test house. Results available by writing to: Southdown Materials Testing, Unit 5 Tansey Green Rd, Pensnett, Brierley Hill, West Midlands, DY5 4TA, UK.