The objective of a cooling system is to get rid of heat from a process or piece of equipment. Cold water is used to achieve this which gets heated as a result of the process. The water is then either discharged into a receiving body or it can be cooled and reused.
Increase cooling tower efficiency
The solutions will maximize the life of your cooling water system. They keep energy, water, and maintenance costs to a minimum and protect your water systems from:
- Corrosion – preventing corrosion is very important if you want to avoid the premature deterioration of your cooling tower. Deposits of minerals and biological sources like microbes can cause metal corrosion. The efficiency of the equipment will, over time, deteriorate and the system can fail if the corrosion goes untreated.
- Scale and deposits – scale deposits will form an insulating barrier on the heat exchange surfaces reducing the efficiency of the heat transfer in your cooling system. These deposits will also cause problems with corrosion within the system.
- Microbiological growth – microorganisms build up in cooling systems and lead to the formation of biofilms. These biofilms cause a number of problems including slime and fouling. Fouling affects equipment performance and promotes metal corrosion. In some cases bacterial growth can lead to health risks.
- Legionella – the growth of the harmful Legionella bacteria is common in cooling towers as they provide the ideal conditions for it to survive and multiply. Legionella can cause serious health risks such as respiratory infections. It is crucial to prevent legionella in facilities where many people can be affected such as hospitals, hotels, and schools.
Cooling tower water treatment programs
NCH Chem-Aqua are experts in innovative water treatment technology for all types of cooling system designs such as:
- Open recirculating systems – cooling towers, evaporative condensers and fluid coolers.
- Closed loops – chilled water, process loops and thermal storage systems
- Once through systems
Our solutions for cooling systems include solid water treatment and Legionella risk reduction programs.
Solutions from NCH
NCH assisted in the removal of resistant biofilm from a large cooling system at a shopping mall. This case study used BioeXile® cleaning systems to eliminate the presence of biofilm and keep equipment working efficiently.
Effective water treatment is a critical part of the preventative maintenance program for a water system. System repairs or replacements are expensive and can be avoided with regular upkeep. Get in touch with NCH Chem-Aqua about expert treatment solutions for water cooling systems.