Boilers ensure a constant supply of warm and hot water to both domestic and larger properties. The size of the system in question will depend on the amount of rooms it will be servicing and the amount of hot water it must supply.
As boilers circulate water they will pick up and develop impurities and other issues. These problems can lead to a breakdown and cause serious losses in terms of time and money. Proper water treatment for your boiler is vitally important to prevent this.
Why is boiler treatment required?
There are many common issues which can occur if you do not treat the water in your boiler system correctly. Letting these issues build up will inevitably lead to a breakdown
- Boiler corrosion: water contains oxygen which will eventually lead to the thinning and pitting of the metal pipes. This can interfere with the heat transfer abilities of the boiler and contamination of the water itself. Suitable boiler water treatments will eliminate oxygen from the water and help prevent corrosion.
- Impurities: water quality is a vital aspect of proper boiler functionality. A boiler with excessive impurities in the water will eventually break down as it can no longer function fully. Proper treatment will break down impurities and restore full function.
- Foaming (carry-over): a high concentration of solids in the water will lead to frothing or foaming on the surface of the water. When this water evaporates as steam it can cause deposits in valves, heat exchangers, turbines, and superheaters, and strip away the magnetic layer in steam lines. This can result in the general corrosion and reduced function of your system. Treatment can reduce the occurence of foaming and prevent these issues.
- Reduce suspended solids: corrosion, scaling and impurities in the water cause an accumulation of solids which can pose a number of problems within the boiler. Hard water: hard water can develop inside the boiler and eventually cause a build up of scale deposits, leading to impurities in the water. Water softening treatment is one of the most common and vital parts of boiler treatment.
All of these issues, if not properly prevented or left untreated, can leave you with thousands of dollars in repair costs, as well as stranding your facility without hot water. A nuisance if it is a domestic or office property, and a nightmare for hotels or hospitals, for example.
Comprehensive water treatment for your boiler system.
NCH Chem-Aqua can provide a range of comprehensive boiler treatments for all types of boiler systems and types, including:
- Fossil fuel and waste-fired boilers
- Electric boilers
- Steam generators
If you are responsible for the maintenance of a boiler or hot water system at your facility or property, seeking treatment before problems occur can save you huge amounts of money and time.