In this industry insight article, we’re going to explore the purpose of diesel fuel additives and the benefits of using them during cold weather.
The rise of fuel prices
Fuel prices continue to rise. As this happens, it is becoming significantly more expensive to run vehicles of all models and sizes. However, if you drive a diesel vehicle or are responsible for a fleet, utilizing diesel fuel additives can support the running of vehicles and keep costs down.
What are diesel fuel additives and why should they be used during cold weather?
Diesel fuel additives are composed of a range of chemicals. These additives are added to the fuel of a vehicle as a supplement. Fuel supplements work towards improving and preserving the fuel, and as a result, help combat rising fuel costs. Choosing to use an additive in an automobile’s power source can provide a range of benefits (depending on the chemical composition of the fuel additive).
One of the standout benefits of fuel additives is their ability to improve the fuel’s capacity to withstand extreme climates and differing temperatures.
Diesel fuel additives – environmental considerations
There are a number of environments where using diesel fuel additives is important to reduce the gelling qualities of fuel. Some of which include:
- Temperatures 0 °C or below – although the specific gelling temperature can differ depending on original fuel used.
- Rapid decreases in temperature – when fuel is not given sufficient time to adjust to temperature drops it can cause the fuel to solidify.
Additional benefits of diesel supplements
There are a number of additional benefits of diesel fuel additives to enjoy, including:
- Environmental benefits – for many consumers, particularly for those regularly driving long distances, owning a diesel car is unavoidable. Although utilizing diesel is considered more economically friendly than other fuel alternatives, diesel cars are still harmful to the environment. Some diesel additives have the ability to dramatically decrease the carbon emissions emitted from an automobile.
- Additional power – depending on the chosen diesel fuel additive, the chemical composition can produce additional power by ensuring the vehicle utilizes the diesel as efficiently as possible.
- Financial efficiency – the primary reason for using diesel fuel additives is often to save money. Choosing to use a fuel additive can dramatically increase the lifespan of the fuel in the tank and, in turn, the longevity of the engine. In certain countries, the grade of fuel may not be of a particularly high quality. Therefore, using diesel fuel additives becomes vital in improving the properties and thus the longevity of the diesel.
Why does diesel fuel gel in low temperatures?
The gelling (or solidification) of diesel fuel in low temperatures can be attributed to the paraffin wax found in diesel. The viscosity of the liquid is increased when appropriate temperature control is not monitored. The crystals in the paraffin wax congeal and fuel filters often become congested.
As well as preventing your diesel fuel from obstructing fuel filters, fuel additives can remove detrimental deposit accumulation from a vehicle’s fuel injectors.
Selecting a high-quality additive is essential to the productive and efficient functioning of your vehicle or machine. At NCH Lubricants, we ensure that high quality, high concentration additives are used to reduce parts replacement and improve engine efficiency.
Do you require any additional information about diesel fuel additives? We can provide a proven solution for deteriorating fuel quality.