We highlight the disadvantages and causes of boiler corrosion, and look at the ways that you can prevent the issue with boiler treatment solutions from NCH Asia-Pacific.
Boiler corrosion is a probable and preventable issue within the commercial and industrial sectors. This article will highlight the disadvantages of boiler corrosion and how it can be prevented.
What is boiler corrosion
Boiler corrosion is the destruction of boiler metal. It occurs when the oxygen within the boiler dissolves into the water. The dissolved oxygen then causes a reaction with iron-rich (ferrous) boiler metal in a process known as oxidation. Deep holes and cavities develop within the metal. They increase in size over time, to a point where the boiler is destroyed and needs to be replaced.
Causes of boiler corrosion
There are many different causes of boiler corrosion. However, the six most common within the commercial sector are:
- Galvanic corrosion - when metals are in electrical contact with each other and one corrodes into a V-like shape.
- Caustic corrosion - when the water has a high PH level.
- Acidic corrosion - gradual corrosion from acidic compounds.
- Hydrogen embrittlement - where the metal loses its ductility.
- Oxygen attack - Where a temperature increase creates energy to cause reactions on metal surfaces.
- Carbon dioxide - Dissolved carbon dioxide in the form of steam/gas corrodes the metal and forms an iron carbonate scale.
The disadvantages of boiler corrosion
The loss of boiler efficiency from boiler corrosion can cause a huge increase in operating costs. It is believed that the costs can be anywhere from $50,000 to $1m.
Once corrosion gets to this point it also becomes very difficult to maintain. Precious work hours can be lost due to a lack of efficiency. This is just delaying the inevitable which is when the boiler is destroyed and will have to be replaced.
NCH can help prevent boiler corrosion
NCH Chem-Aqua can protect your boiler from harmful causes of corrosion. We can provide effective treatment for all types of boiler system designs and applications, including:
- Fossil fuel and waste-fired boilers.
- Electic boilers.
- Steam generators.
- Online and offline cleaning programs.
NCH Asia-Pacific ensures safe, reliable and cost-effective steam production to ensure that you don’t have to deal with these problems.